Thursday, August 6, 2009

lost and found



I was recently told that it must be nice that I am so unattached to material possessions. This comment was made because I tend to leave a lot behind (think keys, phones, shoes), really I just spread the wealth of my stuff (which multiplies miraculously, that is a whole different topic). It has been discussed in great depth a few times at the dinner bar at the school because of whatever I seem to be missing at the moment. There is a lot of joking about how calm I am as I am looking for something that I clearly need to say get home and get into the room I am staying in.
While I have been in Costa Rica I have managed to leave my computer charger at the Taco Bar so many times that they now recognize me and just hand it to me when I return to retrieve the charger. I have yet to keep a towel for more than 3 days, my great quick dry backpacking towel, gone. I quit buying/borrowing towels about a week ago, I am just not meant to have one here. My clothing is currently cleverly dispersed between different rooms at the school, the house I am staying at, and different drying racks in-between. I only have partial parts of my swim suites today. As for my rash guards I am sure that I will find all of them when it stops raining. Basically if I blessed the room with a shower it has been blessed with my crap. Today is one of those days where I need to retrieve a few positions. I just picked up my computer charger to find that I had also left my credit card at the Taco Bar. Now I am waiting out the rain wondering what else I have left behind in various places. I woke up very aware that I should go and hunt down some of my stuff today.
Now here is what amazes me, when people begin to realize that I regularly leave my crap everywhere they are first extremely concerned about it being stolen and offer a plethora of suggestions to help with my organizations skills. I think my organizational skills are fine, I get done what I need and want to get done and I can find what I want or a substitute for what I want most of the time. What I have found is that most of the time my stuff comes back to me, I think it's because most people where ever you happen to be in the world get that someone would say be grateful to return to their car keys or computer charger. Humans are pretty kind and in general willing to not steal. If someone wants to steal something they seem to seek out the opportunity and not stumble upon it, when presented the opportunity to do the "right thing" most people will.
Leaving my stuff everywhere just gives me the chance to meet new people and practice my Spanish. Here are two of places I frequently leave my stuff in Costa Rica, the beach and the school.

No comments: